Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wings Take Flight

Last night I spent the evening watching V for Vendetta and building the DaVinci wings. The metal armatures came out SICK. It's like a cross between Edward Scissorhands and a Chinese junk sail. Anyway, the construction was the easy part, and now I have a pair of matching ones.

The fabric webbing, on the other hand, is proving to be difficult. I tried a number of webbing patterns and construction processes such as mounting the middle arm in a small sheath, then trying to stretch the outsides, or starting with outer sleeves and working in. I wasn't really getting anywhere though. The wings are just not strong enough to pull fabric taught. So, I decided to make the fabric self-supporting.

Here you can see a crude setup that stretched the fabric. I soaked the piece in fabric glue and let it dry overnight. It's now pretty stiff and will be more like mounting cardstock or something that holds its shape a bit better. Plus it looks weathered, which is always cool. Hopefully this will be a bit easier to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment