Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Long Weekend


The brass sections are finally done, cut and mounted. Even with our beefy air compressor and cutting tool it took me 6 hours of grinding away to get the pieces cut and cleaned up. I sat in the garage with my earbuds under some big ear-protective headphones and watched movies on my iphone as I would cut an inch, then wait for the compressor to re-fill. In the end, I'm fairly happy with the result, although I wish the etch would have been a bit deeper. But the show must go on...

...And on it went. It was nice to be back to more straight-forward fabrication and mounting the gauges took no time at all. I used some modified 90 degree mounts and hefty pipe couplings with rubber cores to hold the dials, which worked out better than I thought. The next task is to sew some sleeves for the rear ends of each to hide and protect the connections which I'll probably make out of the same vinyl as before. Glad I got extra. Finally, I have an idea for a dashboard detail that may or may not work but that's on the list as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment