Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Pedals and Wings

Last night was really productive. I finally got the wings wired up and mounted, and the stiffened fabric was a breeze to work with. I taped up the sheets on the armatures just to make sure they worked, but looking at it, it seemed like the bright white was a little too bright.

So, as you can see from this gross-looking picture, I soaked them in steaming-hot water with tea bags for 15 minutes or so. I made sure to crinkle them a bit to let the dye soak in unevenly for that natural aged look.

As you can see, the finished wings definitely have that DaVinci flying machine look to them and I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. The darker color matches a lot better with the overall look I think. I may need to spot weld the joints just to be safe, but we'll see how they hold up during some test rides soon.


Also, I mounted my collapsible pedals which are really sweet:

No comments:

Post a Comment